Sunday, July 2, 2023

St. Thomas, Apostle


Although there is little recorded about the life of St. Thomas, what we do know of him indicates that he was a courageous apostle, willing to stand by Jesus even in dangerous times, and that he was relentless in seeking the truth by asking questions and desiring to see that truth with his own eyes.

When Jesus announced His intention of visiting the recently deceased Lazarus in Judea, it was a time when the authorities were plotting to get rid of Him. As dangerous as it was for Jesus to travel that close to Jerusalem, Thomas said to his fellow disciples: “Let us also go, that we may die with him” (John 11:16). When the worried disciples wanted to keep Jesus from going for fear of what might happen, it was Thomas who gave the necessary encouragement to them to stay by their Master come what may.

It was just before His betrayal that Jesus said, “Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.”

It was Thomas who said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” The question asked by Thomas opened the way for Jesus to reply, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me."

Perhaps most famously, St. Thomas is remembered for being absent from the Upper Room the first time Jesus appeared to the disciples after His Resurrection. Thomas dismissed the accounts of the others by saying, “Unless I see the mark of the nails in His hands and put my finger into the nail marks, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.” Eight days later Thomas made his act of faith. He fell at the feet of Jesus and said, “My Lord and my God!” and Jesus replied, “Because you have seen me, Thomas, you believe. Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet believe.”

The missionary activity of St. Thomas eventually took him to India, where he is venerated as the Apostle of India. In fact, there exists a population of Christians along the Malabar Coast, on the western coast of India, who lay claim to conversion by St. Thomas.

He was martyred during prayer by being thrust through with a spear near Madras, and he was buried in Mylapore, on the east coast of India. Ultimately, St. Thomas’ remains were transported to Ortona, Italy, where he is interred in the Basilica there.

Almighty and everliving God, who for the greater confirmation of the faith didst suffer thy holy Apostle Thomas to be doubtful in thy Son’s Resurrection: grant us so perfectly, and without all doubt, to believe in thy Son Jesus Christ; that our faith in thy sight may never be reproved; through the same Jesus Christ thy Son our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with thee, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, ever one God, world without end. Amen.

 ________________________________________________

Pictured: "The Doubting of Thomas" by Carl Heinrich Bloch (1881)