Tuesday, February 15, 2022

"A priest forever..."


This is part of a sermon I preached some years ago at the first Mass of a young priest.

“You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchisedech.” It’s sobering when a passage of Scripture becomes directly applicable to you, but that’s what happens to a new priest – a priest of the new and eternal covenant of Christ, a priest who is Jesus in our midst, who is to offer sacrifice and who is to absolve sins and who is to anoint the sick and who is to preach the Gospel – and who is, above all, to be obedient to the Lord – the Lord whose priesthood he bears. And it’s that obedience which is foundational to being a faithful priest. In fact, it’s at the core of the Christian life.

One of the reasons for Christ’s three years of preaching and of working miracles was to call all mankind – each one of us – to obedience. He came to declare our freedom – freedom from the old grip which sin had on us, so we can live lives of obedience. It is that obedience which will allow you, young Father, to bear your priesthood with the same obedience as Christ bore the Cross.

We are brothers in the priesthood, but I address you as a son, because, in a sense, you always will be. When I was ordained many years ago I seemed know a lot of things. However, wisdom was slower in coming. One learns to talk less and listen more – not just to people, but more importantly, to God.

I’ve found that He tells me some of the most important things at the most inconvenient times. And I have to say – His best ideas have always come to me when I’m saying Mass. Maybe that’s because it’s a time I’m not thinking about anything except Him. But I do want to emphasize this: if something important comes into your heart and mind while you’re saying Mass, listen very carefully. It is God speaking to you.

Another thing: when someone asks you to hear a confession, do it right then. One of the great privileges you have is that of absolving sinners. Don’t tell them that confessions are heard at such-and-such a time. Find a quiet corner then and there, let them unburden their soul, and give them their penance and absolution.

And be a spiritual father to children. Don’t let the media and the clumsy mistakes made in the past frighten you. Obviously, be prudent. But let yourself show Christ’s love to children. Our Saviour Himself said, “Hinder them not; let the little children come to me.” You’re supposed to be the face of Jesus Christ to them. Not their buddy, not their big brother – but the presence of Christ for them.

In the sacristy where I served for so many years is a small framed sign. It says this: “Priest of God, say this Mass as if it were your first Mass, your last Mass, your only Mass.” Whatever else I’ve done over the years, for good or ill, that is something I have never failed to fulfill. I am as amazed today as I was those many years ago, that our Lord Jesus Christ allows me to stand in His place; that when I speak the words of consecration, He obeys the summons to be present; that when I hold the Sacred Host, it is the God of the universe Who has placed Himself in my hands.

This, now, is your privilege and your responsibility. God has done this, not because we are worthy, but rather, in spite of our unworthiness. You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchisedech, a priest of the Most High God. And you are one of Mary’s special sons, to whom she says, “Do whatever He tells you.” You have been blessed; now may you be a blessing to others.